Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Missing the Course

Even though daylight savings time is back in force, my local disc golf park still is only open until 5 PM which means I can't play after work.  So, I continue to lift and do some form of cardio each day but what I really pine for is the chance to simply PLAY disc golf.

I remember clearly last fall during the last days and weeks before the park began closing at 5, I was itching to be able to get to the gym after work and build some muscle.  Now, I'm itching to get back to actual disc golf training.  Interesting, isn't it?  We always seem to want what we can't have.  I'm finding that I'm just not a very patient person.

Last Sunday I played a round with the Blowin' Birdies.  There was a huge event at Bill Frederick's Park and so we were limited to playing just the front nine of the T-2 course.  There are several holes that are particularly difficult for me, those being hole 1 and hole 5.  They are difficult because even with all my training, I still don't have a big arm, and those holes are particularly long par 4 holes.

Added to that, on Sunday there was a lot of wind.  Of all the courses on at BFP, the front nine of T-2 is probably the best for throwing in the wind because there are a lot of trees which tend to diminish the effect of the wind.  However, it also meant that when the wind got through the trees, it was especially erratic.

So, it was a good practice round for me, in preparation for the Orlando Open.  That's the next tournament I plan to play.  It turns out that I was the top woman finisher that day.....(ok, ok, I'll admit that there were only two of us...!) but I did do better than the much stronger, and younger woman who also played.  So I was cheered by that.

123 days to Worlds!

No comments:

Post a Comment